With more space, University of Ljubljana increases academic output
With the addition of two new, state-of-the-art facilities for the faculties of chemistry and chemical technology and computer and information science at Slovenia’s University of Ljubljana, this project helped the institution solidify its standing as a world-class research centre for the natural sciences and technology
Since its foundation in 1951, the University of Ljubljana’s faculty of chemistry and chemical technology has developed into one of its largest departments. In doing so, it has outgrown its original space. With the facilities having been long deemed insufficient and unsafe, the faculty’s 233 staff and more than 1 600 students have been forced to make do using 24 different locations spread across Ljubljana.
The study of computer science at the university started in 1973, becoming an independent study programme in 1982. With the explosive development of computer technologies, in 1996, the faculty of computer and information science split with the faculty of electrical engineering, but continued to share the same premises. Since then, the number of students and staff almost doubled, to 1 500 students and 180 staff. Clearly, the faculty was in need of its own facilities.
With EU-funding, the university was able to build the high-quality educational, scientific research and development centre it so desperately needed. The two new buildings, which are connected by a glass bridge, are located next to the university’s biotechnical faculty, the National Institute of Biology and Technological Park. As the new buildings host the comparable studies of chemistry, chemical technology, and computer and information sciences, their location is meant to foster collaboration in research and studies.