2019-2020 Balkan Science Journalist Workshops
A series of three workshops on science journalism is being organised by science journalists and by the Joint Research Center (JRC) of the European Commision, that provides funding covering all costs including travel and accommodation.
This series of three workshop, in English, is co-organised by the Center for Ethics in Science and Journalism (CESJ), the Balkan Network of Science Journalists and the European Commission's Joint Research Centre in Ispra, Italy and is designed to build science journalism capacity and skills, as well as to promote excellence in science, health and environmental coverage in Eastern Europe and the Balkans.
Journalists attending the workshops - which build on the experience with two previous events organised by the same team for UNESCO- will engage in interactive sessions with prominent researchers and science reporters and editors from the region – and beyond – to discuss relevant scientific topics as well as data and investigative journalism, reporting on corruption and misconduct. The sessions will be illustrated with real-life examples of good practices and great stories from the region.
Journalists will also discuss techniques for connecting with the scientific community and effective ways of accessing information from institutions.
A special focus of the workshops will be to strengthen the cross-border collaboration and the regional network of science journalists – and their links with colleagues in Western Europe.
THE THREE EVENTS ARE SCHEDULED AS FOLLOWS:
- Belgrade, Serbia, in spring 2019 (the exact date is being confirmed);
- Lausanne, Switzerland, on July 1st2019,with the opportunity to attend the World Conference of Science Journalists, the main such event globally. APPLICATIONS FOR THIS EVENT ARE ALREADY OPEN;
- Trieste, Italy, in June 2020, in conjunction with the Euro Science Open Forum ESOF2020.
The series of workshops is part of the proESOF programme, in preparation of the ESOF2020 (Euro Science Open Forum) conference in Trieste, Italy, to support quality science journalism in the region.
NATIONALITIES INVITED TO APPLY FOR A GRANT COVERING ALSO TRAVEL AND ACCOMODATION:
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- The Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia
- Kosovo *
* This designation is without prejudice to positions on status, and is in line with UNSCR 1244/1999 and the ICJ Opinion on the Kosovo declaration of independence.
Journalists from other countries can attend the workshop at no cost, upon registration (depending on the available places).
For further info, please contact:
Fabio Turone: e-mail turone (at) cesj.eu
Mićo Tatalović: e-mail micho.tatalovic (at) gmail.com