Upcoming Austrian EU Presidency in RTI: key data, program and events
Austria is about to hold the Presidency of the Council of the European Union for the 3rd time since becoming a member of the EU. The motto of the Presidency is "A Europe that protects".
This is the third Austrian presidency and will run from July 2018 to December 2018. It is a special point in time because Europe is facing a number of parallel challenges:
- The proposal for the Multiannual Financial Framework 2021-2027 was published on 2 May 2018.
- The ”Horizon Europe” package proposal is expected to be adopted by the Commission on 7 June 2018.
- The second half of 2018 marks the final phase of the Brexit negotiations.
- The European Parliament’s legislative term ends in March 2019, with the EP elections following in May 2019, and with a new Commission to be in place by November 2019.
The Austrian presidency priorities in the field of research, technology and innovation (RTI) are
- Negotiations on Horizon Europe, the 9th EU Framework Programme for Research and Innovation
- Council Conclusions on ERA, building on the ERAC Review of the ERA Advisory Structure
- Support for Sectoral Policies (e.g.: Defence Research, Joint Undertaking High Performance Computing, European Open Science Cloud, European University Networks Initiative etc.).
Austria’s first presidency objective are the negotiations on Horizon Europe. The Austrian Presidency will launch the negotiations in Council and is planning to progress as far as possible.
Austria’s second presidency objective deals with the European Research Area. The Council Conclusions on ERA that the Austrian Presidency will propose after the ERAC Plenary in September 2018 in Salzburg will address a number of issues, such as the outcome of the current ERA advisory structure review, strategic intelligence produced by the Commission, as well as other thematic elements, all paving the way for the future of ERA under FP9.
Due to the fact that research and innovation are playing an ever more important role in many other policy areas, the third objective of the Austrian Presidency will be to support these sectoral policies. The Austrian Presidency team in the field of research believes that the challenges of our time need modern governance, that is, more cooperation between all policy areas. This does not mean that Austria will negotiate all these items, but the Austrian Presidency intends to take an integral view and support ongoing negotiations in other Council formations in Brussels, as well as through Presidency events in Austria.
Dates for meetings at ministerial level:
10 July 2018
Hearing of Minister Faßmann in EP’s ITRE Committee
16/17 July 2018 Informal meeting of Research Ministers in Vienna
- First exchange of views on FP9 proposal at political level
27/28 September 2018 COMPET Council (Research) in Brussels
- Negotiations on FP9 proposal
30 November 2018: COMPET Council (Research) in Brussels
Negotiations on FP9 proposal – depending on progress: Partial General Approach or progress report(s)
ERA Council Conclusions
For more information on the EU Austrian Precidency, please check this page for direct contacts