Impact Assessment of EUREKA Network Projects and Cluster Projects
This major study, carried out by a consortium led by Prognos AG and its research partners, Joanneum Research and Professor Cincera (Université Libre de Bruxelles), focused on impact of EUREKA grant-based support to companies in the period 2001-2015.
Member countries mobilized an estimated € 11.2billion in project costs for Network and Cluster projects in this period. The methodology involved analyzing the performance of 3 096 participating companies, compared to a control group of 54 814, and employed counterfactual econometric methods (using a difference-indifferences design) alongside surveys and interviews.
- Annual turnover of participating firms 15% higher for Network projects and 13% higher for Cluster projects one year after project end
- Annual employment growth is 4% higher for Network Projects and 7% higher for Cluster projects one year after project end
- Participating firms recognized or expected a strengthened economic position through the EUREKA project, in particular by entering new markets, improved market share or increased exports
- The high degree of flexibility of EUREKA, building upon a strong bottom-up approach, is a an essential asset for many participating firms
- Aside from the rapid exploitation of research results, improved behaviour in managing and performing international R&D collaboration leads to a variety of benefits to participating organisations; intangible changes pertain in particular to improved strategy and competitiveness.
- Shorter projects involving smaller consortia were more successful in bringing their products and services to market in a short period of time
The study also recommended a number of avenues for further exploration and development by the EUREKA Network:
- Synchronise and accelerate funding decisions
- Harmonise funding opportunities and funding rules
- Explore and test “Speed-boats” in Clusters – smaller projects with shorter duration which can be more effective for fast-developing markets
- Use progress checks to validate market perspective and strengthen commercialisation efforts
- Explore complementary opportunities for financing of EUREKA SMEs e.g. ESIF, S2E