Social Sciences and Humanities (SSH) aspects of the Clean-Energy Transition (LC-SC3-CC-1-2018-2019-2020)
This call includes the contribution of the Horizon 2020 Societal Challenge "Secure, clean and efficient energy" to the focus area "Building a low-carbon, climate resilient future" which underpins the goals of the Paris Agreement and the "Clean Energy for all European" package, including the Communication "Accelerating Clean Energy Innovation" (COM (2016) 736) and the SET-Plan priorities, with concrete R&I actions focussing on the accelerated transformation of the energy system, and other sectors, towards carbon neutrality and climate resilience. Activities also fully contribute to the Sustainable Development Goals and the Horizon 2020 spending targets on Sustainable Development and climate action.
Achieving climate neutrality in the energy sector – while ensuring at the same time a more efficient energy use, a secure supply of energy, affordable prices and low environmental impact – is a complex endeavour which requires R&I activities on multiple fronts. Activities supported in this call should deliver:
- on the supply side, cheaper and more performant generation technologies (e.g. renewable energy technologies) which are better integrated in various levels of the energy system;
- a smarter, more flexible and resilient energy system (including affordable and integrated energy storage solutions), taking into account current and future climate change adverse impacts;
- on the demand side, increased overall energy efficiency (e.g. in the EU's building stock) and provision of means to enable consumers to play a more active role in the energy transition;
- a better understanding of the specific socio-economic contexts in which the energy transition takes place which will allow to address obstacles in a more effective way;
- increased market-uptake of innovations, including the implementation of energy policy, the preparation for rolling-out investments, and the support for capacity-building.